In order to extend the reservation benefits to Pahari Speaking People of Union Territory Jammu and Kashmir, Governor G C Murmu approved the amendment to the J&K Reservation Rules, 2005 after constituting a committee vide Government Order No. 250-JK(GAD) of 2020 dated 18.02.2020.
Owing to the people of the Pahari Speaking community, it is seen in the backdrop of the reorganization of the Jammu and Kashmir UT. After scrapping of Article 370 it is definitely a step taken forward in the right direction. The amendment to Jammu and Kashmir Reservation Act, 2005 came into effect on 20th April 2020.
The Jammu and Kashmir Reservation Act, 2004 now gives 4% reservation to Paharis of J&K after this amendment.
Download the Jammu and Kashmir Reservation Rules 2005 here
Download the J&K Reservation Act, 2004 pdf here
Who are the Pahari Speaking People of Jammu and Kashmir?
Pahari Speaking People of J&K are those persons belonging to the Pahari community, clan, or tribe having distinct culture, ethnic and linguistic identity to be identified in such a manner as may be prescribed and by such authority as may be appointed by the Government in this behalf.
The Pahari language is recognized in the sixth schedule of the Constitution of J&K.
According to the Population Survey of the Pahari Speaking People census 2011 released by the State Advisory Board for Development of the said community, the Pahari Speaking People are concentrated in the Districts of Poonch, Rajouri, Baramullah, Kupwara, Anantnag, Kulgam, Shopian, Pulwama, Budgam and Ganderbal.
Here is the Census Report of Pahari Speaking People in Jammu and Kashmir
What is the Reservation Percentage in J&K in 2020?
Reservation percentage in J&K in Jobs Quota and Professional Courses
|Pahari Speaking People(PSP)||4%|
|Ex Servicemen (Horizontal Reservation)||6%|
|Physically Challenged Persons (Horizontal Reservation)||4%|
The struggle for Pahari Speaking People(PSP) category?
The people of Pahari Speaking regions started their struggle way back in 1975 when they demanded the Scheduled Tribe Status from the Government. Following 1991, their struggle intensified when the Gujjars and Bakerwal community was granted the Schedule Tribe status.
What are the amendments to Jammu and Kashmir Reservation Rules, 2005?
- “Pahari Speaking People (PSP)” shall be inserted in Rule 2 after Clause XI in the Jammu and Kashmir Reservation Rules, 2005.
- “Pahari Speaking People to be given 4% reservation” will be added in the list of Reserved Categories in Rule 4 at C(IV) of the Jammu and Kashmir Reservation Act, 2005
- In rule 18, after subclause(iii) of clause(a) a subclause is added where Tehsildar is appointed the competent authority to issue certificates to people falling under Pahari Speaking People(PSP) category.
- In Rule 19, in sub rule(i) of Rule 19 for the sign“III”, the sign”III” and “IIIA” shall be substituted. This rule specifies the form to be used for the grant of a certificate before the competent authority.
- In rule 21, after clause(viii), clause(ix), shall be added. This rule lays down the procedure for issuance of Pahari Speaking People(PSP) certificate.
- In Rule-23 of the J&K Reservation Act, after the sign “XIVA”, the sign “XV” shall be added. This rule tells us that the competent authority on receiving the application from the applicant shall issue the certificate in XV form.
Here is the Original Order of the Jammu and Kashmir Reservation Rules, 2005 amended on 20th April, 2020.
Who will issue the Pahari Speaking People(PSP) Certificate in Jammu and Kashmir?
Tehsildar is the competent authority to issue the Pahari Speaking People(PSP) certificate of any particular area.
What is the procedure to obtain Pahari Speaking People(PSP) certificate?
- A person claiming the benefit under the Pahari Speaking People(PSP) Category must be a member of the Pahari Clan, Community, or Tribe having a Distinct Cultural, Ethnic and Linguistic Identity.
- He/She must be speaking Pahari language and his/her mother tongue must be Pahari.
- He/She must produce an Aadhar card/Voter Identity Card/Domicile Certificate.
- Tehsildar of the area will verify the claim of a person seeking a PSP certificate.
What is the time frame to obtain Pahari Speaking People(PSP) certificate?
15 days is the time period for the competent authority to issue the Pahari Speaking People(PSP) Certificate in Jammu and Kashmir.
The authority has to be satisfied by the claims made by the applicant seeking PSP certificate and shall issue or reject the application within 15 days after recording due reason in writing.
First things first, congratulations to the people who are now the beneficiaries of the Pahari Speaking People Category.
It needs to be seen that we as people of Paddar hailing from District Kishtwar and people of District Doda which includes Bhaderwah are not included as Pahari Speaking People despite having distinct dialects.
Yes, there are various distinct languages spoken in this part of the Chenab Region for that matter like Paddari, Bodhi, Kishtwari, Shirazi, Bhaderwahi.
We the people of Kishtwar and Paddar were landlocked till the 90’s when the road for vehicular traffic finally reached here. And for some or the other reason we were considered a third world region among our own state. Considering the requirement to claim as Pahari Speaking People, we in Paddar have our Distinct community, culture, and ethnic and linguistic identity to put forward our case as some might say.
But a dialect only becomes a recognized language if it has its words, grammar, script, and literature in the form of books to be precise. So, are we really qualified? Tell us in the comments.
It is very informative.
what is the online procedure to obtain pahari speaking certificate in j&k
This is very unfortunate that despite having a unique lingual and cultural density in Doda & Kishtwar, we are deprived of PSP category rights.
I wonder, is it necessary to be a part of clan or tribe to justify the native origin?
When PSP says pahari speaking people. what one can infer from this? or, better to change PSP name to Tribal & Backward culture certicate which may make some sense.
I just want to knw what is this income slab of PSP i mean there should not be any connection of income with psp
PSP itself means pahari speaking it’s about language and linguistics of phari.